Horatio Alger Military Veterans Scholarship – $5,000
Applications for the Horatio Alger Military Veterans Scholarship will be accepted from July 2, 2007 through September 28, 2007. If you wish to apply for a general Horatio Alger Scholarship, please visit our Scholarship page.
The Horatio Alger Association seeks to assist students who have demonstrated integrity, perseverance in overcoming adversity, strength of character, financial need, a good academic record, commitment to pursue a college education, and a desire to contribute to society.
The applicants selected for the Horatio Alger Military Veterans Scholarship will exhibit the following characteristics:
- Be a veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan or Operation Iraqi Freedom and be a recipient of one of the following campaign medals: Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, or Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal (awarded for service in Afghanistan or Iraq only)
- Prove honorable service record under the United States Military
- Intend to pursue a bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) at an accredited college or university in the United States (awardees may begin their studies at a two-year institution and then transfer to a four-year institution)
- No more than 60 cumulative semester/credit hours by the end of the spring 2007 term.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Demonstrate critical financial need
- U.S. citizenship or permanent residency
- Scholarship recipients will be required to attend school on a full-time basis (24 credits hours per calendar year) in order to receive this scholarship. Individuals who are not planning to attend college on a full-time basis should not apply for this scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients do not receive direct payment of their scholarship funds. Funds are only disbursed to a student’s current school and may only be used for tuition, fees, books, and on-campus housing. Funds may not be used to pay off student loans or credit cards.
Questions not related to receipt of paperwork can be sent to email@example.com.
(Thanks Lois for the link:)